.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Invention: A Family Content Network

A journal, information and resources for establishing a Family Content Network, as I am doing - essentially a framework for managing all your Family's online assets and inventions for maximum exposure and revenue. This blog began as an inventor's journal, and retains the overall parent inventor's context and mindset.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

(16) 3-D Printing!

Who knew this existed - a 3D printer! My designer suggested we first do this, as an inexpensive method to generate a first-run prototype. This prototype could function, but wouldn't be the truly testable prototype (in accommodating various real-world stresses and safety hurdles). It would certainly demonstrate the mechanical actions, interactions and potential sizing and visibility issues with respect to the interrelated products and accessories. Precision CAD/CAM in Maryland is probably who we'll contact, as the designer appears to have a contact.

I would have liked, in my InventNow! entry, to have said I have a prototype - but my initial model (built by hacking up a flowerpot for the curved plastic) doesn't seem to fit the intent. I probably won't call the 3-D print a prototype either, just a model for additional design tweaking. The eventual prototype run, which should generate a truly testable model, will be done by a different company, probably "Applied Rapid Technologies Corporation" (www.artcorp.com) - this is the initial company I found on ThomasNet under 'rapid prototyping in Virginia', and who gave me the individual designer contacts.

A note on my designer, Jose' M. Bouza II of Northe Pointe Associates, Inc., in Virginia (http://www.north-pointe.net/) - excellent reference, and very easy to work with - he's proceeding exactly at the pace I need, a little bit each week, sometimes a little more, very part-time. This 'hobby' is part-time for both of us. When we first started, I was a little concerned that his specialty, "electro-mechanical design", was a little out of line from my area, which was purely "mechanical design". So far it's turned out well; designing with plastics is an art unto itself, though mechanical interaction and physics is a specialty area I might eventually need help in.

The point is, simply get a good reference from a reputable company; speak with them and describe your need, more likely than not they'll know a good person, who will likely be able to do a lot more than actually advertised on their website. And approach it professionally, with appropriate NDAs up front.

Google doesn't yet know what my invention is, other than 2 entries under 'newly listed domain names' and the actual site name (which is empty right now). I can't wait to watch the "Google Tide" carry the trademark word I've created for my invention, across the Internet - once it's posted in an area that Google indexes, with well-known links, many more results should start "blossoming" (like summer algae blooms in the Potomac River, which I've sailed through many times), and I'll get some idea as to the direction information flows of this sort. Might help my PR campaign.

I did sign up for a service called "www.freshpatents.com", which sends you each month a listing of new inventions published matching keywords you choose. My keywords include "wheels" - who knew there was so much ongoing activity in the field of wheels! This is a very interesting service. A recent article in the Washington Post actually highlighted ("Even at 5500 Years Old, Every Year It's Something New", 11/25/2005) a USPTO examiner in charge of the "wheels" subject - truly an interesting and timeless job. Hopefully he gets to my application in under 3 years, the current backlog.