.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

This Invention: A Family Content Network

A journal, information and resources for establishing a Family Content Network, as I am doing - essentially a framework for managing all your Family's online assets and inventions for maximum exposure and revenue. This blog began as an inventor's journal, and retains the overall parent inventor's context and mindset.

Friday, November 25, 2005

(12) Patent Submitted

Just back from Disneyworld, would've been great to demo/test my device there, with such a captive and engaged audience. But it wasn't yet ready for prototyping, as several loose ends needed tying up, revolving mainly around the accessories to the core invention (that might influence how the core item is constructed).

In the meantime, the utility patent application was formally submitted by my patent law firm, after I reviewed it and had a number of somewhat minor but pretty important comments and corrections. It serves to note that you know your invention best, no matter how smart or experienced a patent attorney/agent you're dealing with - so scrutinize their work carefully, and question everything. This includes the actual claims, which are the heart of the application - though the language may seem difficult to interpret, try hard to make sure you understand.

Just in time for this, as the provisional application being claimed was submitted a year ago (11/20), and the 'real' application got in on 11/18!

Now, there's quite a lot more to focus on with the patent out of the way. It doesn't matter whether it actually publishes or not at this time, really; so much rides now on whether the product actually works, actually sells, makes some profit, and doesn't hurt anyone. If none of this happens, the patent is worthless anyway.

So I'm going to get a prototype done as quick as possible, get it in front of some testers/evaluators, and come to an agreement with my designer and various suppliers with respect to the first actual incarnation for sale. It looks like I won't be able to create the 'perfect' incarnation first round, with my absolute best target materials, weight, shape, design, or price - but it'll be close enough to really start understanding whether the market is interested. The 'perfect' incarnation will have to wait until a future round of funding/investment, with the support of initial testing/evaluation results. Just gotta get it out there.

Speaking of getting it out there, I plan on marketing in a 'viral' manner, using the Internet and casual use around target venues. I'm not going to pay for any marketing, just start talking it up, offering it, referencing it, and otherwise generating a PR campaign. To that end I've compiled a whole list of target online forums, blogs, discussion threads and related invention sites to target with either direct or more clandestine messaging. For example, a couple of times I've seen a discussion list member complain on a public board that she's having problems with 'X'; I'd probably post a casual message with a reference to my site as a possible solution, avoiding outright sales tactics. After all, I am part of the community I'm addressing, and I believe my invention is actually very helpful to others in it (regardless of the fact that I have some profit motive). There simply isn't any other solution out there like this, and I'm happy to let others know about it!

Also finishing up the application to the Modern Marvels InventNow! contest; based on past winners and honorable mentions, I'd be surprised if my invention didn't generate at least a little interest. Though it isn't really a 'modern' marvel - it's the kind of invention that would've been useful in any age, but mostly now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home